Thursday, May 28, 2009

Changes in Latitudes

Today, the adventures in South America begin! We flew from DFW to Miami and then flew from there to Lima,Peru. I do not know how it happened (well, the nice guy at the DFW American Airlines check-in might have had something to do with it) but Kiley and I lucked into the best seats ever for the 5 hour flight. We had the two seats normally reserved for the crew to rest on long flights, all by themselves that completely reclined all to ourselves. What a great way start to the trip! We also watched a beautiful bright white lightening storm bounce among the dark clouds.

After several hours of reading, practicing Spanish, and sleeping, the flight landed in Lima. We had to wait several minutes as the Haz Mat team checked our plane for signs of swine flu. OK not the Haz Mat team, but there were seriously at least 3 people dressed in full scrubs and masks and about 15 more with masks on as we walked off the plane. Then, every flight attendant and airport worker we saw after had on masks...crazy.

Once Kiley and I made it past the swine flu gauntlet, immigration, and got our bags, we were greeted at the airport by thousands of fans. Not really-obviously the thousands of people at the arrival gate had no idea who we were-but as we stepped out of baggage claim I felt like I was playing for the Mavericks and running out to a full American Airlines center. There were so many people waiting for arriving passengers that I felt a little like a deer in the headlights as I tried to get my whits about me. Shortly thereafter when I finally snapped out of it, Kiley and I saw our driver who was holding a sign with my name on it (lifelong dream 147 fulfilled). He rescued us from the sea of people and we were off to our hotel in an area of Lima called Miraflores. Once we checked in, we each eagerly showered and fell fast asleep looking forward to the adventures ahead.

PS- This is my first blog ever. I have decided to title each post with a song from my iPod. At the bottom of each post you will see the song and artist.

Changes in Latitude, Jimmy Buffet

2 comments:

  1. really slick theme you got going on. bonus points for the post titles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Elizabeth. I feel like I'm reading a cool adventure novel.

    ReplyDelete